[Python-ideas] Register based interpreter

Chris Rebert pyideas at rebertia.com
Fri Feb 20 19:15:52 CET 2009

On Fri, Feb 20, 2009 at 10:07 AM, Venkatraman S <venkat83 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Has there been any discussion or effort on moving from a stack based
> interpreter to a more register based one?
> (my limited search in the archives did not yield me any results)

It's possible PyPy will investigate that, and the Python
implementation on Parrot (which was stagnant last I checked) would
obviously be register-based, but as for CPython, I don't think it's
going to happen (at least not any time soon). The bytecode is
stack-oriented through-and-through; it'd be quite a major change to
become register-based.

Cheers,
Chris

--