[Python-ideas] With-expression

Carl Johnson carl at carlsensei.com
Wed Jan 14 08:12:34 CET 2009

 From the department of doomed ideas:

      data = f.read() with open("file.txt") as f

Has the idea of a with-expression already been preemptively shot down?

I guess the objection is that the above could easily be rewritten as

     data = read_and_close("file.txt")

if one defines the appropriate function. The counter-objection is that
why do I need to write a micro-function when the with-statement
already does what I want, except it takes up two lines when it would
still be clear as one line. But then the counter-counter-objection is
that you can write

     with open("file.txt") as f: data = f.read()

today. To which the counter-counter-counter-objection is, yeah, but
that looks cluttered and ugly in a way that the first example
doesn't... Except the first example is sort of cluttered.

I dunno, what do other people think about this? Doomed or super-doomed?

-- Carl