[Python-ideas] min_fields argument to str.split()

Vitor Bosshard algorias at gmail.com
Thu Jan 22 02:58:06 CET 2009

NOTE: It was brought to my attention that my last e-mail message arrived
completely garbled. Here it is again, as I meant to send it. My Apologies to
everyone.

> > How about this?

> > ...    return islice(chain(iterable, repeat(item)), len)
> > [1, 2, 3, None, None]
> >

> I like this. Maybe an addition to itertools?
>
> +1

+1 from me too.

Way better than the generator I proposed. Having this as a function also
makes it applicable to much more than just one use case.

If you see the following code:

a,b,c,d = fixlen(str.split(),4)

You immediately know it's not a regular unpacking operation; it will be the
first place you look if something goes wrong.

Vitor