[Python-ideas] Draft PEP: Standard daemon process library

Chris Rebert pyideas at rebertia.com
Mon Jan 26 06:23:14 CET 2009

On Sun, Jan 25, 2009 at 9:01 PM, Andrew Bennetts
<andrew-pythonideas at puzzling.org> wrote:
> Bill Janssen wrote:
>> Terry Reedy <tjreedy at udel.edu> wrote:
>>
>> > The question will then be whether this unix-only module is generally
>> > useful enough to be in the stdlib.  Many good modules are not.
>>
>> Right.  Personally, I think it's pretty easy to make a daemon on Unix.
>
> It's pretty easy, but still fiddly enough that I'd rather use a library
> than worry about the details myself.

I strongly second this sentiment. It's such an oft-used recipe that it
deserves a canonical, fully correct library implementation.

>> If this module supported both Unix and Windows, though, that would be
>> interesting.
>
> That would be lovely, but even a Unix-only module would be worthwhile,
> IMO.

Though it would probably improve its chances of getting added to the std lib.

Cheers,
Chris

--
Follow the path of the Iguana...