[Python-ideas] Draft PEP: Standard daemon process library

Ben Finney ben+python at benfinney.id.au
Tue Jan 27 01:58:13 CET 2009

Terry Reedy <tjreedy at udel.edu> writes:

> If I were wanting to make a *nix daemon, I would love to have this.

I'm glad to have many comments like this in support of this PEP.
Thanks, everyone!

> As I understand things, you should finish the implementation, post
> it to PyPI, and get people to use and test it, (all of which require
> no approvals).

Sure, but before I “finish” the implementation, I want to reach
consensus on the suitability of the proposed API. To quote PEP 1:

    It is better to finish the specification and rationale first and
    reach consensus on it before writing code.

> When stable, propose it for the stdlib along with a credible promise
> to maintain it for at least 3 years.

My intention is to continue supporting this code after inclusion in
the standard library, yes.

--
 \       “Liberty, n. One of imagination's most precious possessions.” |
  `\                   —Ambrose Bierce, _The Devil's Dictionary_, 1906 |