[Python-ideas] Draft PEP: Standard daemon process library

Ben Finney ben+python at benfinney.id.au
Tue Jan 27 08:53:36 CET 2009

Bill Janssen <janssen at parc.com> writes:

> Ben Finney <ben+python at benfinney.id.au> wrote:
>
> > […] how would an implementation on Windows need to change the API
> > given in this PEP?
>
> Yes, that's the question. You should figure out the answer, or find
> some more folks who can help you figure out the answer, and update
> the PEP to reflect it.

Based on what I can see in the Python Cookbook (e.g.
<URL:http://code.activestate.com/recipes/551780/>), Windows doesn't
even call it a “daemon”, instead calling it a “service”. The
customisation options and expected behaviour are wildly different from
what a Unix programmer would expect.

So I think that a module for creating Unix-style daemons, with API and
options geared toward making that easy, has no business also getting
involved with creating Windows services. It would result in an unduly
complicated API for no benefit to either Unix programmers or Windows
programmers.

If someone else wants to offer a separate PEP to include a
‘winservice’ module to the standard library, that seems a better way
forward for that use case.

--
 \         “I'm beginning to think that life is just one long Yoko Ono |
  `\   album; no rhyme or reason, just a lot of incoherent shrieks and |