[Python-ideas] Draft PEP: Standard daemon process library

Trent Nelson python-ideas-list at trentnelson.com
Tue Jan 27 17:06:44 CET 2009

On Tue, Jan 27, 2009 at 12:00:59PM +0300, Oleg Broytmann wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 27, 2009 at 06:53:36PM +1100, Ben Finney wrote:
> > Based on what I can see in the Python Cookbook (e.g.
> > <URL:http://code.activestate.com/recipes/551780/>), Windows doesn't
> > even call it a ???daemon???, instead calling it a ???service???. The
> > customisation options and expected behaviour are wildly different from
> > what a Unix programmer would expect.
>
>    Not only it's a completely different API - it requires pywin32 which is
> not in the stdlib.
>
> > So I think that a module for creating Unix-style daemons, with API and
> > options geared toward making that easy, has no business also getting
> > involved with creating Windows services. It would result in an unduly
> > complicated API for no benefit to either Unix programmers or Windows
> > programmers.
>
>    +1 for unix-only daemonization, -1 for making a universal unix/w32 API.

    Meh, Unix-only stuff is such a pain because most developers or
    projects could cobble together Unix-only stuff themselves; the
    same can rarely be said for Windows-equivalent stuff.

    It's not hard to abstract a general service interface; Qt has
    been doing it for a long time:

    http://doc.trolltech.com/solutions/qtservice/qtservice.html

        Trent.