[Python-ideas] Draft PEP: Standard daemon process library

Trent Nelson python-ideas-list at trentnelson.com
Wed Jan 28 02:29:07 CET 2009

On Wed, Jan 28, 2009 at 08:18:51AM +1100, Ben Finney wrote:
> Jesse Noller <jnoller at gmail.com> writes:
>
> > I think adding the windows services functionality distracts from the
> > reasonable goal of the PEP Ben is proposing.
>
> Thanks, this is my position also. I have documented this now, and it
> will appear in the next version of the PEP.

    I disagree.  Partly because I'm in a bit of a devil's advocate mood
    at the moment.  But mostly because I know what will happen: the PEP
    gets approved, the daemon module gets written, and, because it's so
    useful, uptake is immediate, people start writing code that uses it.

    Sweet.

    Or is it?  Don't get me wrong, I *heart* Unix.  But I get paid to
    develop in Windows.  Because frankly, that's where the big bucks are
    and it's an extremely satisfying transition to jettison all emotional
    reasoning and just work for whoever is willing to pay you the most.
    I highly recommend it.  But for now, I digress.

    So, back to your Unix-only daemon module.  It's good.  Great, in
    fact.  All sorts of projects start using it.  Subversion uses it
    to write some funky persistent daemon that speeds up hooks by
    8000% percent.  Well that's just super!  I'd like to use that for
    one of my clients, but, argh, no, wait, I can't, it's trying to
    use some daemon module that Google tells me is Unix-only.

    After poking around the source, I'm perplexed.  It's not doing
    anything uniquely Unix-xy, just your normal, run-of-the-mill
    start/stop type stuff.  Why on earth, I think to myself, is this
    great 3rd party Python utility using a Unix-only daemon module,
    thus requiring me to hack it to bits in order for it to run on
    Windows, wasting my time and my client's time.

    Because it was there.

        Trent.