[Python-ideas] Draft PEP: Standard daemon process library

Jesse Noller jnoller at gmail.com
Thu Jan 29 02:48:50 CET 2009

On Wed, Jan 28, 2009 at 7:57 PM, Antoine Pitrou <solipsis at pitrou.net> wrote:
> Jesse Noller <jnoller at ...> writes:
>> Windows Services != Unix daemons. Admittedly, I haven't had to do it
>> in awhile, but from what I remember, windows services are nowhere near
>> the same type of beast as a unix daemon, and trying to make a unified
>> daemon library that glosses over the differences might cause seizures
>> and habitual smoking.
>
> That would be like a portable library which would allow to write multiprocess
> programs by glossing over the differences between Unix and Windows processes...
> Wouldn't it?

Since Antoine called me to the mat on this one, and I've been chewing
on this more today - I think the cross-platformedness (is that a
word?) idea is a good one, even if the Qt design doesn't necessarily
apply here completely, having a single abstraction to both (but
different modules under that abstraction based on os) is attractive
(as Stephen pointed out).

Heck, a daemon for OS/X is going to need it's own underlying
implementation as well: the proper way to install a daemon/service is
via launchd [1] which I had to monkey with both for the OS/X buildbot
I have, and for an application today.

jesse

[1] http://developer.apple.com/documentation/Darwin/Reference/ManPages/man8/launchd.8.html#//apple_ref/doc/man/8/launchd