[Python-ideas] Draft PEP: Standard daemon process library

Ben Finney ben+python at benfinney.id.au
Thu Jan 29 03:21:00 CET 2009

Andrew Bennetts writes:

> Jesse Noller wrote:
> >
> > having a single abstraction to both

Both? What is the referent here? (I couldn't find any in the context
provided.)

> > (but different modules under that abstraction based on os) is
> > attractive (as Stephen pointed out).
>
> Perhaps such an abstraction should be built on top of Ben Finney's
> proposed unix daemon module, rather than built in?

+1.

It seems Jesse and I have been simultaneously masticating. Having now
chewed on this issue overnight, I can't see any reason why, given the
existence of an implementation of the current PEP, that it couldn't be
used to implement some *other* PEP dealing with a separate-process,
service-based model.

That I can't think of any reason why not is likely to mean that there
are half a dozen reasons I'm unaware of :-)

--
 \         “I went to the museum where they had all the heads and arms |
  `\      from the statues that are in all the other museums.” —Steven |