[Python-ideas] Draft PEP (version 0.4): Standard daemon process library

Andrew McNabb amcnabb at mcnabbs.org
Thu Jan 29 15:56:05 CET 2009

On Thu, Jan 29, 2009 at 05:03:05PM +1100, Ben Finney wrote:

> There is a related concept in many systems, called a “service”. A
> service differs from the model in this PEP, in that rather than having
> the *current* program continue to run as a daemon process, a service
> starts an *additional* process to run in the background, and the
> current process communicates with that additional process via some
> defined channels.

In my opinion, the difference between a daemon and a service is just a
by-product of the difference between fork and CreateProcess.  If the
multiprocessing package can solve this problem, I don't see why a
daemon/service package wouldn't be able to, too.

> As of 2009-01-26, the package is under active development and is not
> yet a full implementation of this PEP.

I'm still confused why there's a PEP before there's a stable
implementation and a base of users.

--
Andrew McNabb
http://www.mcnabbs.org/andrew/