[Python-ideas] Draft PEP: Standard daemon process library

Trent Nelson python-ideas-list at trentnelson.com
Thu Jan 29 20:54:01 CET 2009

On Thu, Jan 29, 2009 at 01:35:21PM +1100, Ben Finney wrote:

> It makes much more sense for ???daemon??? to stay simple and continue to
> mean the Unix-specific concept of ???daemon???, without necessarily
> obstructing whoever wants to implement ???service???, than for ???daemon???
> in Python to mean something other than the Unix meaning.

    There are two types of developers that will utilise this module.
    Those that are writing something for themselves, that never has to
    run anywhere else other than Unix.  Or those that work primarily or
    exclusively in Unix, but understand that others might want to run
    their code elsewhere.

    If you build it, they will come.  By building the latter solution,
    sure, you've inconvenienced the guy that wants a Unix-only daemon,
    but you've also enabled everyone else who wants to write stuff that
    has a chance of running unmodified on other platforms.

    And jumping on the bandwagon of a few others; I like the argument
    that something Unix-only like this could just as easily belong in
    PyPI, whereas a cross-platform solution is more viable for stdlib
    inclusion.

    We should make it harder to write non-portable code, not easier.

        Trent.