[Python-ideas] Draft PEP (version 0.4): Standard daemon process library

Ben Finney ben+python at benfinney.id.au
Thu Jan 29 22:09:16 CET 2009

Antoine Pitrou <solipsis at pitrou.net> writes:

> Hello,
> […]
> >     * If the `pidfile_directory` attribute is not ``None``:
> >
> >       * Look in that directory for a file named '`pidfile_name`.pid';
> >         if it exists, raise a `DaemonError` to prevent multiple
> >         instances of the daemon process.
>
> It should first check that there does exist a processus with that
> number, so that stale pid files don't cause too many problems.

Good point, thanks.

What would be appropriate behaviour in the case of a stale PID file?
Abort the daemonisation attempt? Delete the stale lock file silently
and continue as though it didn't exist?

--
 \       “I bought some powdered water, but I don't know what to add.” |
  `\                                                    —Steven Wright |