[Python-ideas] Draft PEP (version 0.4): Standard daemon process library

Ben Finney ben+python at benfinney.id.au
Thu Jan 29 22:22:45 CET 2009

Andrew McNabb <amcnabb at mcnabbs.org> writes:

> In my opinion, the difference between a daemon and a service is just
> a by-product of the difference between fork and CreateProcess.

This PEP addresses the case where a daemon is specifically what the
programmer wants.

I would like it to *also* be useful as the obvious thing to use for
implementing a service on Unix, but it is designed to also allow for
the case when a service is *not* what the programmer wants.

> If the multiprocessing package can solve this problem, I don't see
> why a daemon/service package wouldn't be able to, too.

A service package would be ideal for the use case you suggest. That's
not what this PEP proposes, though.

--
 \           “Why, I'd horse-whip you if I had a horse.” —Groucho Marx |
Ben Finney