[Python-ideas] Draft PEP: Standard daemon process library

Ben Finney ben+python at benfinney.id.au
Thu Jan 29 22:28:33 CET 2009

Trent Nelson writes:

>     There are two types of developers that will utilise this module.
>     Those that are writing something for themselves, that never has to
>     run anywhere else other than Unix.

Surely there is also the type that are writing *for others*, and want
the program to be both well-behaved and work on any Unix-like OS?

>  Or those that work primarily or exclusively in Unix, but understand
>  that others might want to run their code elsewhere.

Those people would be well served by a putative “service” interface.
I would welcome such a PEP from you, since you seem to have fairly
solid ideas of what it should look like.

>     We should make it harder to write non-portable code, not easier.

It's a bit of a stretch to go from “designed to work on any Unix-like
OS” to “non-portable”.

--
 \     “Under democracy one party always devotes its chief energies to |
  `\       trying to prove that the other party is unfit to rule — and |