[Python-ideas] Cross-platform file locking, PID files , and the "daemon" PEP (was: Draft PEP: S tandard daemon process library)

Stephen J. Turnbull stephen at xemacs.org
Fri Jan 30 06:39:52 CET 2009

Ben Finney writes:

 > Skip Montanaro has a PyPI package, ‘lockfile’ (currently marked
 > "Beta") <URL:http://pypi.python.org/pypi/lockfile> that has such
 > ambitions.

 > Should I make an even lower-level PEP to suggest inclusion of Skip's
 > ‘lockfile’ package? Is that wise? Is it polite?

I would send your proposal for PIDlockfile to Skip.  In your PEP,
describe the relevant parts of the API explicitly in the PEP, with a
footnote that you are deliberately extending the lockfile interface
and currently intend to remain compatible with that interface.

Then talk to Skip about a PEP for including his package, or perhaps
extending your PEP to include it.  Which is better depends on details
and how aggressively Skip would want to pursue inclusion of lockfile
if your daemon package doesn't make it or takes a long time.

I don't know about "polite", but I think it would be unwise to try to
PEP lockfile without Skip's explicit support.