[Python-ideas] Draft PEP (version 0.4): Standard daemon process library

Gabriel Genellina gagsl-py2 at yahoo.com.ar
Sat Jan 31 11:36:16 CET 2009

En Thu, 29 Jan 2009 04:03:05 -0200, Ben Finney
<ben+python-TqlCGjI+HWGnbCmf7pGUHw at public.gmane.org> escribió:

> :PEP:               XXX
> :Title:             Standard daemon process library
> :Version:           0.4

After reading this PEP, I see it as a big list of implementation details.
A more high level view would be more suitable for a multiplatform
implementation.
Like when using most library modules, I trust the authors, I hope they've
done their job well, that they've read their Stevens and Pietrek, and the
code follows the best practices. For the most part, I don't care about the
implementation - just that it don't gets in my way.

I'd say that a daemon is just a background process, detached from any
terminal and without any user interactivity, that keeps running
independently of the logged user. *How* to get there, it's the library job.

So I need a method to "become a daemon". Stopping a daemon process must be
done orderly so a "stop" method is required too. It needs some way to
react to external requests (signals, or control requests on Windows):
they're a short list, we can use methods following a naming convention
(e.g. "on_reload"). And that's all, at least conceptually; probably we
need some attributes to customize the behaviour.

I think it's a lot easier to implement such abstract view on different
systems. Excluding Windows right from the start --because of so many
details that should be emulated, and are mostly irrelevant-- would be a
bad idea.

--
Gabriel Genellina