[Python-ideas] Immemorial desire for "do-while"-like construction

Jan Kaliszewski zuo at chopin.edu.pl
Thu Jul 16 00:50:06 CEST 2009

Hello,

The issue has been coming back repeatedly:

How we could elegantly and pythonic'ly avoid repeating ourselves if
we need the control flow structure that e.g. in PASCAL has the form:

repeat
until CONDITION

In Python we must use while-loop in not very DRY (Don't Repeat
Yourself) manner:

SOME
ACTIONS
HERE
while CONDITION:
       THE SAME
       ACTIONS
       AGAIN

(See also:
http://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0315/
http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-dev/2006-February/060718.html
http://preview.tinyurl.com/nodgwt
)

Maybe here the simplest approach can lead us to the solution? I.e.:

repeat while CONDITION:
       SOME
       ACTIONS
       HERE

In human language it'd mean: do ACTIONS once unconditionally, then
*repeat* them while the CONDITION is true.

Additional advantage is that probably for many people associate
'repeat' with such construction (from experience with other languages).

What do you think about the idea?

--
Jan Kaliszewski <zuo at chopin.edu.pl>