[Python-ideas] Proposal for extending the collections module - bags / multisets, ordered sets / unique lists

Sat Jul 18 04:36:37 CEST 2009

Excuse my ignorance, but it's been a while since I've taken an
algorithms class: Would a bag have any Big-O performance advantage
over just using a list but ignoring the fact that it's in an order?
Non-big O but otherwise practical speed advantages?

As for the ordered set, there I can see the uses much more clearly,
and the proposal to included it has come up on this list before. At
the same time though, I think some of those uses can also be realized
using the new collections.Counter class. Then again, if there's
interest, why not?

-- Carl Johnson