[Python-ideas] Proposal for extending the collections module - bags / multisets, ordered sets / unique lists

Michael Lenzen m.lenzen at gmail.com
Sat Jul 18 07:17:44 CEST 2009

Sorry, the previous post was in the wrong thread.

Yes, checking for inclusion (elem in bag) and removing an elem would be
O(1) time as opposed to O(n).  I think the former is the real case for
bags over lists.  As for real world applications it makes a huge
difference in a program I am running, I am repeatedly searching a
collection of almost 1 million elements for an item and it takes a long
time using a list.  A list just iterates through all of the elements
until it finds what it's looking for whereas a bag just hashes the element.

-Michael Lenzen