[Python-ideas] Proposal for extending the collections module - bags / multisets, ordered sets / unique lists

Chris Rebert pyideas at rebertia.com
Sat Jul 18 08:18:15 CEST 2009

On Fri, Jul 17, 2009 at 9:57 PM, Michael Lenzen<m.lenzen at gmail.com> wrote:
> I posted this in the wrong thread before, sorry.
>
> A Counter class is NOT a multiset/bag, it allows negative and zero
> elements.  This makes as much sense to me as having negative elements in a
> Set.  This is all besides the fact that Counter is nothing more than
> defaultdict(int) so it should be removed regardless of whether or not bags
> are added.

Truth be told, it's more than just defaultdict(int). It adds
.elements() and .most_common().

Seems bag-like to me.
- Unordered? Check.
- Allows duplicates? Check.
- O(1) containment test? Check.
- Counts multiplicity of elements? Check.
- Iterable? Check.

The only non-bag thing about it is allowing 0 and negative
multiplicities, which I agree is unintuitive; I don't like that
"feature" either.

+0.75 on adding a proper Bag. It could be subclassed from or borrow
code from Counter.

Cheers,
Chris
--