[Python-ideas] Where-statement (Proposal for function expressions)

Jan Kaliszewski zuo at chopin.edu.pl
Sun Jul 19 20:29:18 CEST 2009

Guido van Rossum <guido at python.org> wrote:

> The 'where' proposal actually looks nice to me. (Maybe I've been
> studying functional languages too much lately :-). My biggest problem
> with this concrete proposal is that 'where' means something completely
> different in SQL (which I've also studied too much lately :-).
>
> However, I think we should focus on keeping the language stable rather
> than keep tinkering with it. Let's help 3rd party developers port
> their work to 3.1 rather than planning 3.1's obsolescence.

I believe it's at the other 'end for stick' of development process and
doesn't hurt 3.1 at all.

It could appear at the earliest in 3.2 or 3.3 in __future__... but I
think it doesn't mean we should freeze working on new ideas, even if
they have chance to be released not earlier that in three or five years.

Mike Meyer <mwm-keyword-python.b4bdba at mired.org> wrote:

> but the BDFL said he sort of liked it, except for the
> name - and that we should be shaking out 3.X instead of extending the
> language. So, just to get it on record, how about a B&D version of the
> where statement? Let's call it the "with" clause.

But we already have 'with' in the language, doing completely different
things.

I propose 'using'.

Regards,

zuo