[Python-ideas] 2c about package directories

Tennessee Leeuwenburg tleeuwenburg at gmail.com
Wed Jul 22 04:01:03 CEST 2009

Hi all,

Apologies if any of this has been said before. I've been loosely following
the ongoing discussions about packaging utilities, plus a few people's
experiences with attempting to manage their own Python environments. I was
thinking about a potential directory layout approach which might be
attractive to some people and which I think could be useful for automatic
packaging.

/usr/local/bin (or whatever the system prefix is)
  python --> 'standard python version'
  python2.6 --> 'standard python 2.6'
  python2.7
  python3.1
  etc

/usr/local/lib/python (or whatever the system prefix is)
   /python2.6
      /core
      /site-packages
      /applications
          /application-name-packages
   /python2.7... etc

/home/username/.python/
   /python2.6
      /user-packages
      /applications
          /application-name-packages

With that layout, it should be possible for:
  -- Anyone to always be able to run a system python installation with
'core' libraries only
  -- Run a system python installation with 'sitewide' libraries
  -- Deploy application-specific libraries to a system python installation