[Python-ideas] Aid reiteration with new class: gfic

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Sun Jun 21 02:53:42 CEST 2009

Terry Reedy wrote:
> As I understand, everything goes into the tee and everything comes
> out in order, so I don't understand what you mean keeping some value.

itertools.tee() knows where each of the spawned iterators is up to in
the sequence so it knows when it can throw away old values. In the
degenerate case (such as your cartesian product example) it has to store
the whole series in memory but it can usually do better than that (based
on how far apart the spawned iterators get).

> I believe someone else though it was too simple for the stdlib  ;-)
> The solution is a variation of functools.partial.

Approaching it as a variant of functools.partial certainly sounds like
the way to go (and rereading your initial post, I realise you have
indeed been doing that all along).

It will be interesting to see what your search for concrete use cases
turns up.

Cheers,
Nick.