[Python-ideas] Syntax for curried functions

Greg Ewing greg.ewing at canterbury.ac.nz
Tue Mar 3 21:56:56 CET 2009

Weeble wrote:

> I don't think it's generally useful enough to merit
> a change to the language, but somehow the idea floated into my head
> and it just seemed so *neat* that I had to tell somebody.

The designers of at least one other language seem to
think it's neat, too. Scheme has an exactly analogous

   (define ((f x) y)

which is shorthand for

   (define f
     (lambda (x)
       (lambda (y) ...)))

[The *really* neat thing about the Scheme version is
the way it just naturally falls out of the macro expansion
of 'define' in terms of 'lambda' -- so it's not really
a separate language feature at all!]