[Python-ideas] cd statement?

Tal Einat taleinat at gmail.com
Tue Mar 10 17:52:48 CET 2009

Sturla Molden wrote:
> Arnaud Delobelle wrote:
>>
>> Have you tried IPython?
>
> Yes, it has all that I miss, but it's ugly (at least on Windows, where it
> runs in a DOS shell).
>
> S.M.

Hear, hear! GUI interactive prompts FTW!

In IDLE you can also just move the cursor to a previous line of code
(or code block), hit Return and you'll have that code on your current
command line, ready to be edited and executed.

As for changing directories, I find "from os import chdir as cd,
getcwd as cwd" satisfactory. I have it in the python file referenced
by the PYTHONSTARTUP environment variable, and I've changed all the
relevant shortcuts (on Windows) to run IDLE with the -s flag (which
causes the PYTHONSTARTUP file to be imported before anything else).

- Tal