[Python-ideas] Formatting mini-language suggestion

Stephen J. Turnbull stephen at xemacs.org
Thu Mar 12 07:02:32 CET 2009

Raymond Hettinger writes:

 > Will start with Nick's simple proposal as a starting point.
 >
 > [Nick Coghlan]
 > >  [[fill]align][sign][#][0][minimumwidth][,][.precision][type]

+1 for making that the stopping point, too.

I can't speak for the Chinese, but the Japanese also use the Chinese
numbering system where the verbal expression of large numbers is
grouped by 10000s.  However, in tables of government expenditure and
the like, the commas usually occur every three places.  Eg, the
official GDP figures from the Japanese Ministry of Economy and Trade:

http://www.mext.go.jp/b_menu/toukei/001/08030520/013.htm