[Python-ideas] [Python-Dev] Ext4 data loss

Leif Walsh leif.walsh at gmail.com
Thu Mar 12 09:29:40 CET 2009

On Thu, 2009-03-12 at 08:24 +0100, spir wrote:
> > Would there be interest in a filetools module? Replies and discussion to
> > python-ideas please.
>
> Sure. +1
> Also: a programmer is not (always) a filesystem expert.
>
> PS: What I meant is: the point of view from the filesystem is very different. A proper interface will to have to take the programmer's point of view while exposing the filesystem issues. I think (like always at the interface of two worlds -- cf specification talks between developper and client ;-) *terminology* choices will be very important.

Dealing with different types of OSes and filesystems in a generic way is
difficult.  I would urge everyone to err on the side of less generality,
because I think it would be better for a programmer to write bad code,
and be able to figure out why, than to write code that looks perfectly
fine, and have a harder time discovering the problem.

--
Cheers,
Leif