[Python-ideas] Rough draft: Proposed format specifier for a thousands separator (discussion moved from python-dev)

Raymond Hettinger python at rcn.com
Thu Mar 12 19:28:38 CET 2009

[Bruce Leban]
> If I'm French then all decimal points should be ',' not '.' regardless
> of what language the developer speaks, right?

We already have a locale aware solution and that should
be used for internationalized apps.  The locale module
is not going away.

This proposal is for everyday programs for local consumption
(most scripts never get internationalized).  I would even
venture that most Python scripts are not written by
professional programmers.  If an accountant needs to knock-out
a quick report, he/she should have a simple means of basic
formatting without invoking all of the locale machinery.

Raymond