[Python-ideas] Rough draft: Proposed format specifier for a thousands separator (discussion moved from python-dev)

Greg Ewing greg.ewing at canterbury.ac.nz
Fri Mar 13 02:15:55 CET 2009

Antoine Pitrou wrote:
> Greg Ewing <greg.ewing at ...> writes:
>> I agree. I don't see a use case for hard-coding non-standard
>> separators into every format string.
>
> Sorry, but what do you call "non-standard" exactly?

I mean something other than "," and ".".

My point is that while it's perfectly reasonable
for, e.g. a French programmer to want to format his
numbers with dots and commas the other way around,
it's *not* reasonable to force him to tediously specify
it in each and every format specifier he writes.

There needs to be some way of setting it once for
the whole program, otherwise it just won't be
practical.

--
Greg