[Python-ideas] Rough draft: Proposed format specifier for a thousands separator (discussion moved from python-dev)

Chris Rebert pyideas at rebertia.com
Sun Mar 15 23:34:54 CET 2009

On Sun, Mar 15, 2009 at 3:20 PM, Giovanni Bajo <rasky at develer.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 12 Mar 2009 00:49:24 -0700, Raymond Hettinger wrote:
>
>> [spir]
>>> Probably you know that already, but it doesn't hurt anyway. In french
>>> and most rroman languages comma is the standard decimal sep; and either
>>> space or dot is used, when necessary, to sep thousands. (It's veeery
>>> difficult for me to read even short numbers with commas used as
>>> thousand separator.)
>>>
>>> en: 1,234,567.89
>>> fr: 1.234.567,89
>>> or: 1 234 567,89
>
> I'll notice that the international standard is to use just space:
>
> http://www.bipm.org/jsp/en/ViewCGPMResolution.jsp?CGPM=22&RES=10

Of course, that's primarily a /scientific/ standard; others have
explained that commas are apparently the international /financial/
standard.
"Aren't standards great? There's so many to choose from!"

This thread continues to get more complicated by the day...
(Localization doth be *hard*)

Cheers,
Chris

--