[Python-ideas] Rough draft: Proposed format specifier for a thousands separator (discussion moved from python-dev)

Chris Rebert pyideas at rebertia.com
Mon Mar 16 15:55:23 CET 2009

On Mon, Mar 16, 2009 at 7:10 AM, spir <denis.spir at free.fr> wrote:
> Le Sun, 15 Mar 2009 15:34:54 -0700,
> Chris Rebert <pyideas at rebertia.com> s'exprima ainsi:
>
>> commas are apparently the international /financial/
>> standard
>
> Certainly not! I am very surprised to read that. Do you mean the standard in english-speaking countries? Or in countries which currency is $ or £?
>
> see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Decimal_point#Examples_of_use

Yes, I know it varies from nation to nation, but apparently less so
when specifically working internationally (like you, I was surprised
there was a standard at all); see earlier response by Raymond
Hettinger in the parallel c.l.p thread. Relevant quote:

"""
I'm a CPA, was a 15 year division controller
for a Fortune 500 company, and an auditor for an international
accounting firm.  Believe me when I say it is the norm in finance.
"""

"It" referring to period-as-decimal-point and
comma-as-thousands-separator notation.

Cheers,
Chris

--