[Python-ideas] PEP links in docs

Aahz aahz at pythoncraft.com
Tue Mar 17 00:54:44 CET 2009

On Mon, Mar 16, 2009, Raymond Hettinger wrote:
>attribution for Georg Brandl deleted:
>>
>> Feel free to send patches, as small as they may seem.  Mark up PEP numbers
>> in reST like this -- :pep:`42` -- to get automatic linking.
>
> We might want to include a PEP index in the documentation
> but I think it's a really bad idea to include links from within
> the docs.  The PEPs get out of date quickly.  They document
> an early decision but not its ultimate evolution and diffusion
> through-out the language.

There are two reasons to link to PEPs:

* Provide the historical context

* Give detailed info lacking in the docs

The first purpose will always exist, and I see no reason to delete such
a link if documented as such.  Links for the latter purpose can be
removed when the docs are updated to match what's available in the PEP.

Adopt A Process -- stop killing all your children!