[Python-ideas] Builtin test function

Robert Collins robertc at robertcollins.net
Thu Mar 19 11:23:57 CET 2009

On Thu, 2009-03-19 at 10:59 +0100, Fredrik Johansson wrote:
> There's been some discussion about automatic test discovery lately.
> Here's a random (not in any way thought through) idea: add a builtin
> function test() that runs tests associated with a given function,
> class, module, or object.

This takes out all of the [useful] configuration for output - parallel
testing, distributed testing, testing from an IDE etc.

I'd love to see something like bzr's load_tests module scope hook
honoured by the default test loader. It makes test discovery compatible
with test customisation.

I'd be happy to put a patch together.

-Rob