[Python-ideas] About adding a new iteratormethodcalled "shuffled"

Marcin 'Qrczak' Kowalczyk qrczak at knm.org.pl
Wed Mar 25 22:41:27 CET 2009

On Wed, Mar 25, 2009 at 13:28, Steven D'Aprano <steve at pearwood.info> wrote:

> Don't get me wrong, random.shuffle() is perfectly adequate for any
> use-case I can think of. But beyond 2080 items in the list, it becomes
> greatly biased, and I think that's important to note in the docs. Those
> who need to know about it will be told, and those who don't care can
> continue to not care.

Why anyone would care? Orderings possible to obtain from a given good
random number generator are quite uniformly distributed among all
orderings. I bet you can't even predict any particular ordering which
is impossible to obtain. There is no time to generate all orderings.
The factorial of large numbers is just huge.

Marcin Kowalczyk
qrczak at knm.org.pl