[Python-ideas] Builtin test function

average dreamingforward at gmail.com
Sat Mar 28 03:33:49 CET 2009

>>> There's been some discussion about automatic test discovery lately.
>>> Here's a random (not in any way thought through) idea: add a builtin
>>> function test() that runs tests associated with a given function,
>>> class, module, or object.
>>
>> Improved testing is always welcome, but why a built-in?
>>
>> I know testing is important, but is it so common and important that we
>> need it at our fingertips, so to speak, and can't even import a module
>> first before running tests? What's the benefit to making it a built-in
>> instead of part of a test module?
>
> The advantage would be a uniform and very simple interface for testing any
> module, without having to know whether I should import doctest,
> unittest or something else (and having to remember the commands
> used by each framework). It would certainly not be a replacement for more
> advanced test frameworks.

By making it a builtin it's also pointing out to users that
code-testing is an important part of the python culture (as well as
good development practice).   It may seem easy "just to do a module
import and then run the imported test function", but such a construct
says that testing is just an optional thing among many dozens of
modules within python.

As for a name, Guido's criticism aside, I do like like it spelled
test() with usage very much similar to the builtin help()
function--both would be accessing the same docstrings but for two
different purposes.  I think it would add a lot of encouragement for
the use of doctest (one of my favorites) as well as facilitate good
test-driven development.  And, regarding the name, if any function
deserves the name test() it would be this builtin--all others would
necessarily be secondary.  But if there's rancor regarding the name,
call it testdoc() or something.

Personally, I'm +2 on the idea, but that may only be in cents....

marcos

PS. Add test() to the GSoC suggesting of improving doctest with
scope-aware doc-test variables (for easing setup code between
module->class->method docs).