[Python-ideas] lint in stdlib

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Tue May 5 16:46:46 CEST 2009

Terry Reedy wrote:
> Aahz wrote:
>>> Wouldn't it be be better placed in the Tools/ directory rather than as
>>> part of the stdlib?
>>
>> Perhaps, but I don't think so -- you need a source tree to get Tools/
>> AFAIK, and if some form of lint gets blessed by incorporation into
>> Python, then it needs to be available for all standard installs.
>
> Regardless, the stdlib is for modules to import, tools for programs that
>  run.

We blur that line all the time though (cf. timeit, pdb, pydoc,
webbrowser, runpy, probably others).

So I'd agree with Aahz that if python-dev is going to bless something
along these lines, it should be something worthy of inclusion in the
standard lib itself rather than just being dropped into the Tools directory.

Cheers,
Nick.