[Python-ideas] 80 character line width vs. something wider

Jason Orendorff jason.orendorff at gmail.com
Wed May 20 00:04:24 CEST 2009

On Tue, May 19, 2009 at 1:15 PM, Raymond Hettinger <python at rcn.com> wrote:
> Though I suspect your note was trolling, I agree with you and find the 80
> character width to be an anachronism.

I find the long lines in my code are not as contrived as the thread so
far suggests:

                    t = t[:m.start()] + t[m.end():]  # ok because
we're iterating in reverse

            sys.stderr.write("js-build: WARNING: Due to COMMAND_MODE
madness, this can fail on Leopard!\n"
                             "js-build:          Workaround is to
upgrade to Python 2.5.2 or later.\n")

allVariants = [_m + _r + _x for _x in ('', 'x') for _m in ('', 'm')
for _r in ('r', 'd')]

            yield Message(parseTime(attr(u'received')), who,
text(msg), isAction)

        while self.node is not None and self.node.nodeType ==
self.node.TEXT_NODE:

And some examples in Mercurial:

                if err.errno not in (errno.ENOENT, errno.ENOTDIR, errno.EINVAL):

          ('U', 'noupdate', None, _('do not update the new working
directories')),

                            self.parent[id] = self.lastbranch.get(branch, 'bad')

-j