[Python-ideas] 80 character line width vs. something wider

R. David Murray rdmurray at bitdance.com
Wed May 20 14:04:56 CEST 2009

spir <denis.spir at free.fr> wrote:
> On the other side, the Oulipo school of writing believes that writing with
> apparently arbitrary constraints improves the results.
>
> ???
>
> How can you assert such a non-pertinent (and wrong) statement (in regard to
> the point beeing discussed)?  Oulipo games are about helping *creativity*. A
> set of strict constraints helps the poet be creative -- or rather they let
> whatever unconsciounsly creates "popping" good mattery into conscious poetic
> minds.

Do you think that writing code is an act that does not involve creativity?

Writing with constraints to improve creativity applies to any kind of
writing, not just poetry.  I heard about the idea in my creative writing
class; I've never heard of Oulipo before.

It also has already been invoked in this thread with respect to writing
programs:  constrained to 80 characters, you are encouraged to refactor
the code, thereby producing superior code.

--David