[Python-ideas] 80 character line width vs. something wider

Floris Bruynooghe floris.bruynooghe at gmail.com
Tue May 26 19:35:49 CEST 2009

On Tue, May 26, 2009 at 09:47:05AM -0700, Aahz wrote:
> On Tue, May 26, 2009, Zooko Wilcox-O'Hearn wrote:
> >
> > Personally, I would consider "objective arguments" to be controlled,
> > repeatasble, studies with quantitative results.  I've seen such studies
> > about light-background-dark-foreground vs. dark-foreground-
> > light-background, which is why I use the former now.  I haven't seen
> > such studies about line width, especially not with Python text as
> > opposed to English text.
>
> Personally, I would be amazed to see any significant difference between
> the two foreground/background combinations you list.  ;-)

Entirely off topic by now, but these differences are more significant
for e.g. dyslectic people.  And these studies exist and are the reason
exam papers in the UK are printed black on yellow etc.

To be more no-topic, for as long as I've knowingly used computers my
text editor window (and thus programming environment) has been 40x80
(emacs for me ;-)).  Also having code no longer then 80 chars is nice
when debugging on (serial) consoles, which does happen unfortunately.
You're not always in your comfy development environment.

Regards
Floris

--
Debian GNU/Linux -- The Power of Freedom