[Python-ideas] UCS2 vs UCS4 ABIs

Zooko Wilcox-O'Hearn zooko at zooko.com
Sat Nov 7 22:36:40 CET 2009

Please see also this thread:

http://www.mail-archive.com/python-dev@python.org/msg42272.html

This is a complementary proposal: that the Python devs should
encourage the Linux distributors to converge on a common UCS2/4
choice.  If the ABI improvement that you suggest is not adopted, then
my proposal will help users.  If the ABI improvement that you suggest
is adopted, then my proposal will still help users.

Likewise with the proposal to include the UCS2/4 configuration in the
platform description on Linux: http://bugs.python.org/setuptools/
issue78 .  If that proposal is not implemented, then my proposal will
help users.  If setuptools issue78 is implemented, then my proposal
will still help users.

Regards,

Zooko