[Python-ideas] Refactoring the import system to be object-oriented at the top level

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Sun Nov 8 22:20:50 CET 2009

Brett Cannon wrote:
>> The underlying import machinery would migrate to instance methods of the
>> new class.
>>

> Do you really mean methods or just instance attributes? I personally
> don't care personally, but it does require more of an API design
> otherwise.

I did mean methods, but I also realise how much work would be involved
in actually following up on this idea. (As the saying goes, real
innovation is 1% inspiration, 99% perspiration!)

If you don't move the machinery itself into instance methods then you
just end up having to pass the storage object around to various
functions. Might as well make that parameter 'self' and use methods.

>> The standard import engine instance would be stored in a new sys module
>> attribute (e.g. 'sys.import_engine'). For backwards compatibility, the
>> existing sys attributes would remain as references to the relevant
>> instance attributes of the standard engine.
>
> How would that work? Because they are module attributes there is no
> way to use a property to have them return what the current
> sys.import_engine uses.

Yes, I eventually realised it would be better to turn the dependency
around the other way (i.e. have an engine subclass that used properties
to refer to the sys module attributes)

>> Modules would get a new special attribute (e.g. '__import_engine__')
>> identifying the import engine that was used to import that module.
>> __import__ would be modified to take the new special attribute into account.
>>

> Take into account how? As in when importing a package to always use
> the import engine used for the parent module in the package?

Yes, that's what I was thinking. That would be necessary to allow
operations like the runpy methods to execute without having side effects
on the main import machinery the way they do now.

Having run_path and run_module functions that were as side-effect free
(and hence thread-safe) as exec and execfile would be kind of cool.

>> I suspect such a change would greatly simplify experimentation with
>> Python security models as well: restricted code could be given a
>> restricted import engine rather than the restrictions having to be baked
>> in to the standard import engine.
>>

> Huh, I wonder made you think about that example? =)

Not *just* your efforts over the last few years, although those were
definitely a major inspiration :)

>> >From an OO design point of view, it's a classic migration of global
>> state and multiple functions to manipulate that state into a single
>> global instance of a new class.
>
> If anything it makes it easier to discover everything that affects
> importing instead of having to crawl through the sys docs to find
> every attribute that happens to mention the word "import".

Heck, *I* had to stare at dir(sys) for a while to make the list of
import-related attributes in my post and I've been working on import
related code for years. Even then I almost missed 'dont_write_bytecode'
and wouldn't be the least surprised if someone pointed out that I
actually had missed something else :)

Cheers,
Nick.