[Python-ideas] Add encoding attribute to bytes

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Tue Nov 10 22:26:44 CET 2009

Terry Reedy wrote:
> Your experience has been different from mine. Thanks for the exposition.
> I can see why you prefer metadata to either be in the stream itself or
> as part of a wrapper object.

One of the things I've learned on python-list/-dev/-ideas is that the
*kind* of software one writes regularly makes a big difference to what
seems like a good idea. I tend to write fairly low level hardware
control code, so that's the way I tend to think. Others come from the
financial world or from an academic/scientific background or are
interested in Python for education purposes or in building big
frameworks that try to solve the world (or at least a particular problem
space within it ;).

It says a lot about Python's flexibility as a language that it applies
so well to so many different problem domains, but it can lead to some
interesting discussions when we try to align the interests of all those
different ill-defined groups :)

Cheers,
Nick.