[Python-ideas] for/except/else syntax

Guido van Rossum guido at python.org
Wed Oct 7 16:44:53 CEST 2009

On Tue, Oct 6, 2009 at 9:06 PM, Bruce Leban <bruce at leapyear.org> wrote:
> Here you go:
> do_except = True
> for i in SEQ:
>   do_except = False
> else:
>   if not do_except:
>     C  # suite_if_loop_is_not_broken
> if do_except:
>   B  # suite_if_loop_body_is_not_executed

This doesn't keep the else semantics the same; currently in a for-loop
over an empty list, the else clause is still executed, but not in your
case, since do_except remains true. You may have meant this
intentionally but it means that adding 'except: pass' would change the
semantics of a for+else loop, which I find unexpected.

I now understand that you want the except clause executed when there
were zero iterations (your wording "not executed" didn't mean anything
to me). Naming it 'except' is a really bad idea though because it
makes people thing of exception handling.

I can somewhat sympathize with this desire, but I think there are
already plenty of ways to do this without adding new syntax. In
general the addition of new syntax ought to be a truly rare event, and
with the still pending transition to Python 3.x, doubly so.