[Python-ideas] SyntaxWarning for for/while/else without break or return?

Stefan Rank list-ener at strank.info
Thu Oct 8 10:57:38 CEST 2009

Hi,

a suggestion/question related to the discussion about renaming for/else
and while/else:
Is it easy to generate a SyntaxWarning if you use these constructs
without a break or return statement in the loop? AFAICS, any such usage
would be either wrong or unnecessary. (right?)

This would both help prevent wrong usage because of a false intuition
and, if adequately and prominently documented, would help those
interested in learning about for/else while/else.

Easily doable? Maybe even make it a SyntaxError?
I guess it would involve using a flag while parsing loops, but that's
why I am asking, since I don't have experience with Python's parser...

cheers,
stefan