[Python-ideas] SyntaxWarning for for/while/else without break or return?

Stephen J. Turnbull stephen at xemacs.org
Sun Oct 11 06:36:45 CEST 2009

Steven D'Aprano writes:

 > I don't believe the language should be hand-holding the naive user to
 > that extent. What do we do, fill the compiler up with a thousand
 > warnings for things which might confuse some naive user?

Nobody (except you and Gerald) is talking about things that "might"
confuse "some naive user", nor does anybody advocate proliferating
warnings or even getting within a light-year of that slippery slope.

We're talking about one construct that *demonstrably* confuses *people
who have taken it upon themselves to explain correct usage in this
thread*, including at least one who considers himself above needing
such warnings.  We're talking about a single construct that the BDFL
has deigned to deprecate as an unfortunate choice of keywords.

Please stop wandering off topic, and address the arguments that have
been presented.