[Python-ideas] a new lambda syntax

Masklinn masklinn at masklinn.net
Mon Oct 19 17:13:14 CEST 2009

On 19 Oct 2009, at 16:39 , Oleg Broytman wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 19, 2009 at 10:28:58PM +0800, starwing wrote:
>> Oleg Broytman ??????:
>>>   Single-line lambdas are good enough,
>>> and if you need more - just create a named function.
>>>
>> BUT, why we need a name? just to process something or make decide,
>> sometimes code itself is enough.
>
>   A multiline function is certainly not a simple piece of code; it
> requires documentation - docstring, comments - and the name is a
> part of
> the documentation.

Why would grouping two statements require such an overhead? Do you
write a comment for each line of Python code you produce?

A function, named or not, is nothing more than a bloc of code (in fact
that's exactly how they're called in Smalltalk), and not all blocs of
code require a name, a docstring and comments.