[Python-ideas] [Python-Dev] Proposal : Python Trusted Computing API

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Tue Oct 20 12:56:55 CEST 2009

Ben Finney wrote:
> geremy condra <debatem1 at gmail.com> writes:
>
>> If you were suggesting adding a crypto API to python, I'd be all
>> for it- but you're suggesting adding the ability to have Python
>> software vendors remotely cripple the code on your machine.
>> I just can't get behind that, and while you're sure to hear wildly
>> divergent opinions on this board, I suspect that mine will not
>> be an uncommon sentiment.
>
> Agreed. Though I don't draw much water here, being a Python user rather
> than a core developer, I totally agree that technologies to subvert an
> owner's control over the behaviour of their own machine are anathema to
> a free culture. Such technologies are to be resisted, and they shall not
> get a jot of my support in any form if I can help it.

Such techologies are actually fairly pointless, as giving both a secret
and a key to that secret to the same party and expecting the secret to
stay that way is completely missing the point of how crypto works. You
can make it difficult for the user to acquire the secret, but there are
just too many attack vectors to keep *everyone* out, and once one person
breaks it, the wonders of the internet mean that pretty much everyone
else can break it as well.

The ease with which even Python bytecode can be monkey-patched at run
time to null out the trusted API calls is likely to make such an
undertaking in Python even more pointless than usual.

Regardless, the answer I gave on python-dev stands: this has nothing to
do with Python as a language or the standard library. The OP is free to
develop whatever Python extension libraries they like and see if they
can attract much outside interest.

Cheers,
Nick.