[Python-ideas] Remove GIL with CAS instructions?

Sturla Molden sturla at molden.no
Wed Oct 21 00:13:04 CEST 2009

Benjamin Peterson skrev:
> I eagerly await your patch!

I'd gladly contribute to the effort, but I did not say it is an easy
task :-)

I just wanted to bring this up:

- The GIL has consequences on multicore CPUs that are overlooked: thread
switches are usually missed at check intervals. This could be fixed
without removing the GIL: For example, there could be a wait-queue for
the GIL; a thread that request the GIL puts itself in the back.

- Also, fine grained locking is not the only alternative to a global
lock. No locks at all is even better.

Sturla Molden