[Python-ideas] Syntax for making stuct / record / namedtuples

Eero Nevalainen eero.nevalainen at indagon.com
Wed Oct 21 11:13:22 CEST 2009

 From the (creative) laziness department:

Whenever my module A needs to pass a lot of data to module B, I find
myself making a factory function in module B for creating the datastructures

def my_factory_function(a, b, c):
     # input checking
     res.a = a
     res.b = b
     res.c = c
     return res

I believe this is fairly common.

Since the fields are already defined in the function signature, I'd
prefer to not repeat myself and write something like this:

def my_factory_function(a, b, c):
     args = locals()
     # input checking
     return namedtuple('MyTypeName', args)

This would perceivably be possible, if locals() returned an OrderedDict
and an appropriate namedtuple factory function was added.

related discussion is in:

Does this seem familiar or useful to anyone besides me?

Eero Nevalainen